Saturday, December 27, 2008

Gingerbread House Success (for the most part)

After last year's gingerbread nightmare, I decided to try and make my own this year. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I made 4 batches of gingerbread dough the night before Christmas eve. Christmas eve morning I cut out the houses and baked them. No problems so far. Putting them up is where it gets tricky. We had a few cracks and breaks, but nothing a little hot glue wouldn't fix. That's one lesson I learned this year. Hot glue is a must in constructing gingerbread houses. Nobody actually eats the gingerbread anyway, so why not glue it.

I had enough dough for an extra house, so I joined the kids in decorating. It was fun. Ben was so excited that he was allowed to make a huge mess and eat a huge amount of candy and no was trying to stop him. He kept putting things up on his house and then eating it a minute later. He really had fun. This is what it looked like when he was finished:

Spencer later took over Ben's and finished it.






And, the finished products....

6 comments:

  1. First,I love the new family picture! It is the greatest! I think I laughed out loud for at least a min.
    Second,congrats on the gingerbread houses. You must have the patience of a saint

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot Glue? You're a genius. And very ambitious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like some messy fun!
    I too loved your family picture. It was so classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I didn't have to clean up the mess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy I just read your gingerbread blog and I think your right genious runs un the family it must be a Ferguson trait!

    ReplyDelete