Saturday, June 25, 2016

To Build an Oven (Part Two)

With the oven now set in place, there was still much to do. Don't ask me what. That fell under Jason's expertise.  All I knew was that it looked really hard.  It took another two months to finish it up.

My contribution... I added a few screws.

Chimney is on and the first fire is going!  This was a very exciting day for us. The chimney is a whole other story in and of itself. Let's just say it was a huge milestone for us.

I had the honor of cooking the first pizza in the oven.  Up until this point, Jason had no idea if this oven would work.  We didn't know if it would perform the way we needed it to in order to produce the pizzas that people were used to buying from us. There was a bit of a learning curve with fire management and temperature control because this oven was WAY more efficient. But with a little practice, we couldn't have been happier with the results. With our little oven on the cart, we couldn't do more than 20 pizzas an hour.  This thing can pump out 50 or more pizzas an hour. We can cook 8 pizzas at a time instead of 2. If anything, the quality of the pizzas were better.

Now for the tile!

This was as far as we could get before we opened because we ran out of time.

We closed for a week during Christmas, so with the help of Jason's parents, we were able to come finish up the job in the few days after Christmas.

Tedious, tedious job.  On the lower half we were able to use the sheets of tile, but on the upper sections we had to cut them into small strips to make it work.

And...we're done!!  Almost.

We grouted the oven and painted the pipe a year later.
What a beauty! Jason is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment