Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Weston Update


Yesterday I took Weston in to meet with the neurosurgeon. I had already accepted and was dealing with the fact that Weston was going to need surgery, so I was quite surprised when the Doctor told me he didn't think it was necessary. He showed me the CT scans and explained how he came to the conclusion that Weston's brain was not in danger of any damage. He told me the surgery could still be done to remove the ridge on his forehead. I was afraid of this, I didn't want it to be a cosmetic decision, but at the same time I felt relieved that it wasn't a necessity.
The night before visiting with the neurosurgeon, I had been referred to a blog (thanks Ginger) about a little girl who is Weston's age and had just been through the same surgery. There were pictures and a detailed day by day record of the surgery and recovery. It made me sick every time I thought about Weston having to go through the same thing. Jason and I talked about it and decided there was no way we could put him through it unless it was a necessity.
I am so relieved that he won't have to go through all that. He may curse us someday, if he hates the shape of his head, but hopefully it will never be an issue. I think he's perfect and handsome just the way he is.

10 comments:

  1. We are sooo relieved to hear that he won't need surgery. We have been praying for him and you all very hard that God will take care of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! All of your boys are handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such good news. What a relief for you guys... yay for Weston!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cindy, how wonderful! What a load off not to have to go through all that. How could Weston do anything but thank you for making a decision that both of his parents think is best for him? Don't doubt yourself, I'm sure it isn't something you and Jason decided lightly. Happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All our prayers were answered :) I am so glad his little brain is safe. He has such a cute little smile and twinkling eyes, I'm glad all is well. Does that mean no more trips to SLC? I guess I can deal with that. I hope to see you soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YEAH!!! So glad to hear it. And I think his head is a good shaped egg! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jason, Great looking family. Kendra and I are just one boy away from the four you and Cindy have. Glad to see that things are going well for you.
    -Sam Blake

    ReplyDelete
  8. We plan on telling Jaxon his head makes him look tougher and cooler and all those other things that boys want to hear. So glad to hear everything is okay

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear that everything turned out so well. I think that Weston is perfect and handsome just the way he is too. I'd even let him marry Lucy in a few decades, just to let you know. Hope you guys are doing well. Next time we come through Cedar we'll have to barge in on you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you guys on this.
    With every surgery Emily has had, we have made sure it was necessary. If we ever had the option to pass on one, we would have. I am sure Weston will understand that quality of life doesn't have anything to do with a differently shaped head.

    ReplyDelete