Tuesday, September 30, 2008

GWO (Thanks, Kristin)

I'm getting lazy. I figure, why take the time to write about my weekend when somebody already has? Plus she's a better writer than I am. So, I'm stealing Kristin's work. Everything is correct, except the part about who kept who up until 3am (it was KRISTIN!!).
In Kristin's own words (titled GWO):
That's 'Girls Weekend Out', and we just got back. It was fantastic. 6 of us, left children and husbands for a little girls retreat. We drove up to SLC for General RS Meeting and stayed with my mom (Happy Birthday today Mom!). It was fun. We helped Ivie prepare her Gospel Doctrine lesson which led to a lot of interesting tangents, and then when we got to mom's we had caramel and chocolate apples and talked some more.When we finally made it to bed, some of us stayed up even later talking about...well, I forget, it was pretty late, or early I should say. Giggles and stories till 3 am. Yeah, 3 AM!!! (It was all Cindy's fault. She wouldn't shut up!) The next day we were both pretty hammered, and being in the temple for an early morning session when you're wiped out isn't easy, but we managed to keep each other awake. It was a really nice session. Then it was off to the DI for our 2 hour shopping extravaganza (and the yard sale Karen made me pull over at). We found some pretty good deals, and everyone left happy. The deal of the day was probably Karen's find, the applesauce maker thing for $2. Or her ski's for $10. Or her really cool vintage shoes for $4, well, she had a lot of stuff.
Then it was into SL for an early lunch, pot pies and soup in the Nauvoo Cafe, yum. We were trying to catch the new Joseph Smith film, but Cindy and I were afraid we'd pass out if left in a dark room for more than 2 minutes. We went to the distribution center instead, just before the meeting. We got to the Conference Center at 4:30 for the 6:00 meeting, and I was sure it'd be empty, but there were tons of people already. The security was interesting, having never been to a session there, I didn't realize we were so high tech. Metal detectors, wands, bag searches, FBI looking ear pieces on the security guys. Wow. Well, they took our plastic bags from the distribution center away, so we wouldn't be able to suffocate anyone! Seriously? So funny. But the really funny part was, while they were confiscating all our bags, our friend Ivie managed to sneak in a knife in her purse! She forgot it'd been there a week from some apple peeling at cubs, and was in a panic they'd find it, but the purse searching guy missed that one. Oh well, at least they got the REALLY dangerous plastic sacks!I didn't realize the Conference Center is so MASSIVE! I couldn't believe it. Did you know it seats 23,000 people? More than the Delta Center! And I didn't really believe you could fit a 747 jet on the main floor, but once inside, I bet you could squeeze 2 in. It was pretty amazing. The talks were great, the crowds were orderly and well managed, it was kind of like going to the temple, in that you could never get lost, there was someone standing every 10 feet ready to point out the way, except they weren't all ancient and dressed in white.
The meeting ended at 7:30, and we were back in the car and on the road by 8pm. Not bad. By 12:15am we were home.
Wow, that was the easiest post I've ever written. Thanks again Kristin.

1 comment: