Friday, October 24, 2008

Oh, the Drama!

Our family doesn't need girls to have drama, at least not when we have Spencer. The drama he creates himself is probably enough for at least three girls. Here is a small sample of the drama I live with on a daily basis (make sure to keep a whining and yelling voice in mind while reading):
When asked to clean his room the other night-
"I HATE cleaning my room! This is the BADDEST night of my life! I am going to break down my room so I never have to clean it again!"
When asked to get wood from the backyard for the fireplace-
"I can NOT go back there! It is WAY to fweaky (freaky)!"
Okay, Indiana/Batman/Spiderman/Ninja/Ironman/the list goes on and on.
When it's time to pick up dog poop, he must first outfit himself appropriately, which includes tying his apron around his head so he won't smell anything. Apparently the apron doesn't do much for him, because he's outside dry heaving over and over again, all the while bawling his head off. When he's done, he throws the shovel to the ground and yells "I will NEVER pick up dog poop EVER again in my whole life!" We'll see. He's still bawling as he gets on his bike and takes off for school. The bawling continues until he's down the street and around the corner. I'm not sure how much longer it goes after he's out of earshot.
Another time, while hiking with my Dad and brothers he decided he'd had enough. "I want a jet plane to come and take me back to the cabin!" He fell to the ground and starting bawling. "This is the WORST day of my life.....well, it's one of the worst." Perhaps during his short pause he was reflecting on worse days, like the time his head was wrapped in packing tape, or the countless times he's been forced to clean his room.
Here is a scenario that happens at least two or three times a week-
"What can I have to eat? I'm starving!"
"You can't have anything, dinner is almost ready".
"But Moooommm, I am starving to DEATH!"
"I'm pretty sure you'll survive a few more minutes."
"No I will NOT! How about just a yogurt?"
"Nope."
"A banana?"
"No."
"A pretzel?"
"If you ask for one more thing, you're going to your room."
At this point he usually starts bawling and tries to overpower me so he can get into the fridge, which results in him getting sent to his room. After the bawling stops ten or fifteen minutes later, he'll be standing at the top of the stairs..."a granola bar?"
Sigh...here we go again.
Last week at my Mom's house, he had another worst day. He had a loose tooth and wanted Grandma to tie dental floss around it and pull it out. I was really surprised he would let anyone near it. He was being very brave. When string method wasn't working, Grandma told him she was going to use the pliers so she could get a good grip on it. Surprisingly, he didn't object....until she pulled it out. Then he bawled. And bawled. And bawled. Probably a good twenty minutes. Eventually he did get over it, and was able to smile.






Life with Spencer isn't all bad. He keeps us laughing, a lot. When he's not being dramatic in a whining, crying, complaining sort of way, he can be very entertaining. Without him, I wouldn't have near as much to write about.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Cindy, now you know what we had to live with all those years growing up. Don't worry, I think you grew out of it around 17 or 18. The rest of us that don't have to live with him think it's pretty funny. Paybacks I guess. Love ya (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sure do love hearing about the adventures of Spencer (alias Spiderman, Batman, Indiana, etc.) He really keeps us laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever wonder what you did with your time and energy before kids? That's funny stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. But he's so dang funny, your family would be boring without him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sequence of pictures is priceless. Poor Spenc, life is so hard : )

    ReplyDelete