Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Good News and the Bad News

Regan won 3rd place overall in the Pinewood Derby this year, which is good news, I suppose, but the really good news is that the derby lasted only 1 hour this year. The last 2 years? Three hours! I mean really, does everyone need to race everyone at every lane on the track? I think not. This year, they hired someone new to run the track. It was all electronic, which made for a smooth race. It was all over in an hour, I couldn't believe it! Let's hope they keep with this new system, because I've got 9 more derby's to go before all the boys are out of cub scouts.

The car. This is the first time we've ever had a car that didn't come in close to last place.

Now for the bad news-Regan broke the base of his thumb yesterday while playing kick ball at school. He got knocked off his feet by the ball, and landed on his hand. We took him to the instacare where he got a temporary cast, and tomorrow he'll get a permanent one from the Orthopedic Surgeon. Good thing he's a tough kid. No tears, no whining, he took it like a man. Honestly, I think he thinks that it's cool. He can now brag of having had 3 broken bones.

8 comments:

  1. The Pinewood Derby is so nuts!! We ran it this year for cub scouts and I thought there were going to be some serious fistfights before the night was over. I'm really surprised that you guys wouldn't have the winning car every year, though. Jason seems like he'd be all over that (but not in the psycho-dad way like most fathers).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS good news! ONE hour! Especially since you have to sit through so many more! LOL. By the time Zeke gets to Cub Scouts, I can use old age as an excuse to bow out!

    Bummer about the thumb though, never heard of that. And hey! At least he didn't shoot himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Regan on his 3rd place win! I have never been to a Pinewood Derby but I can only imagine a but of rowdy, excited kids for 3 hours so I am pumped for you that it was only 1.
    I am sad that he broke his thumb...been there done that. Sounds like he was a true champ! Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah nine more derbies, 50 more campouts (at least) and who knows how many meetings, projects, badges, recognition nights....etc etc.
    lucky girl...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Regan only tough guys break bones. Congrats on the derbie. I don't think I ever got better than 8th. Oh the joy of boys huh Cind. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy you always inspire me with the wonderful tales of your boys...and what I have to look forward to *yeah scouts*. Congrats Regan on the RACE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh...i'm glad he pointed to it...i'm not sure which thumb it was...he he

    ReplyDelete