Sunday, December 6, 2009

More Sick Stories

When Weston woke up yesterday with a fever-for the third time this week-I decided to bring him to the doctor. While getting the kids ready to go, Ben went from slightly swollen eyes to almost non existent eyes. His face swelled. His arms and hands swelled. He developed huge welts all over his body. All of this in a matter of minutes. I couldn't figure out why he would be having an allergic reaction. Good thing we were already on the way to the Instacare. I really hate going to the doctor. I feel like they always over-treat the kids, and who knows what else they'll pick up while being there. Oh well, what do you do? 'Tis the season, I suppose. One more reason for me to HATE winter. Looks like the 100+ (yes really, 100+) gummy vitamins that Ben and Weston consumed last week didn't do much to keep them healthy.
As it turned out, Ben was most likely having a reaction to some sort of virus, which evidently is not uncommon in children. She said it would probably last 3 or 4 days, and wrote a prescription for some kind of steroid treatment, to which I had no intention of filling. I'll stick with Benadryl for a few days, if he needs it.
Weston had an ear infection. For him, a prescription of Amoxicillin, which will also end up in the garbage. Not that I tell the doctor this. Just smile and nod.
I'm not totally against antibiotics or other medications, but I do think they're over prescribed. Most things they get over on their own. I would do a few things differently if I could go back. But, live and learn.

I took these pictures several hours after the Benadryl, and the swelling had gone down.

I can hardly look at these without wanting to scratch them for him. I used to get hives quite frequently as a child. They never could figure out why. This sure brought back memories of my own hive days.

Poor Wes, just not himself.


On a more positive note, the one good thing about winter-Christmas. We got a tree cut down and decorated. Christmas lights are up. Christmas decorations are up. Most the Christmas cards are on the way. Neighbor gifts are almost done. Shopping is almost done. Now, if I can just keep the kids healthy....

4 comments:

  1. Poor Ben and Wes! Those welts look awful! I hope they get better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Poor Ben looks sooo miserable! I hope everyone gets better quick and you stay well too. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMWord! A virus? Are you sure there wasn't something in the vitamins that he was allergic too? Like the gelatin filler or something? BTW, how did they eat 100? You should buy the crap kind from Costco. I can't MAKE my kids eat those! oh. Kind of the point eh? lol. I'm jealous of your home cut tree... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow that looks painful. Poor Ben and Weston, give em loves for us.

    ReplyDelete