Thursday, May 1, 2008

Ben's Better!

I've been trying to decide weather or not I want to write about this past week. It's been a rough one, but since this is more or less my journal right now, I wanted to have it on record.
I don't want to go into all the details, so here is the abridged version:
Saturday, Ben started having what would be a series of seizures over the next few days. Fortunately, it appears that his seizures were only fever induced, or febrile seizures. As it turns out, they're not that uncommon. We've actually had a friend experience one with their child, so it wasn't totally unfamiliar to us. The scary part was that after two ER visits, including a ride in the ambulance in the middle of the night, they unable to tell us if he was having seizures or not. We didn't know what was wrong. What Ben was experiencing was uncharacteristic of a regular seizure. It wasn't until he had a longer, more characteristic one at home later on Sunday that we knew for sure that we were dealing with seizures. It was the most horrible and scary thing we've ever been through. At one point, while waiting for the ambulance, we didn't know if he was going to make it.
There were a lot of ups and downs for the next few days, but by Wednesday he was as good as new. The doc has ordered an EEG for him just to be sure, but doesn't anticipate that there will be any problems. He will, however, need to monitored closely and treated aggressively for any fevers he has in the future.
There are no words to describe how grateful we are that he is doing so much better. We are also so grateful for all the support and concern given by all of you and others around us. We almost forgot we have two other kids; they were so well cared for through it all. We pretty much didn't see them for three days. They thought it was all a big party. Especially the sleepovers.



Even when he's sick, he knows what he wants. He would not let me take off these shoes.



Here he is today. All back to normal, thankfully. I won't complain about his messes for at least another week.
Just as he was getting better, I was getting sick. I guess I have a sinus infection. I pretty much just laid on the couch all day yesterday. Today I'm feeling much better. I'm just glad this baby didn't decide to come this week. We're shooting for next week. I think we should all be recovered by then.

2 comments:

  1. This is one mom who is very grateful to Cindy's good friends for all they did for her. I am too far away to step in to help, so I am glad she has others around her to help out. We are grateful to Heavenly Father that we still have little Ben with us. This was soooooo scary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy I am so sorry to hear that he was sick and greatful to hear that he is dioing well now.

    ReplyDelete