Thursday, February 12, 2009

Minivan #3

It's always profitable for us when we visit with my parents. Living 4 hours apart, we can usually only get together every few months or so. But when we do, we always end up a little better off. Gas money, smoke alarms, oil change....it's always something. My parents get teased by my brothers that I'm the favorite child, which is most likely true, but it also helps to be the poorest (we're not the ones playing in Hawaii).

So this week they came for a visit, and they did not disappoint. When I saw them pull up in separate vehicles, I knew we'd scored big time. A new minivan! Every time my parents get a new van, we inherit the old one. And they don't let it get very old before giving it to us. They say they want to make sure we have something safe and reliable to drive so they don't have to worry about us on the 4 hour drive to their house. Well okay, but THREE minivans?! Yes, that's what we have parked in our driveway right now. None of which we have paid for. Should I be embarrassed? Probably so, but most of all I'm grateful that we don't have to have a car payment while trying to get through school. We'll probably sell the oldest one, which will most likely end up paying a mortgage payment or two. Thanks Mom and Dad.

The week before my parents came I was cleaning out our van, and I'll just say, I'm tempted to not let the kids anywhere near the new van. I'll use it only for special occasions and times that I may need to impress someone with my clean minivan. If we were to go somewhere nice, I wouldn't have to worry about what might fall out of the back door when it slides open, or that someone might catch a glimpse inside of our van. Or, if I should need to give someone a ride, I wouldn't have to worry about being embarrassed that they might find something unrecognizable growing in the back seat.

About a year ago, a friend sent me an e-mail with this video, below. I think about it every time I clean the van. Unfortunately, it hits too close to home, but it makes me laugh. It's actually a Zima advertisement (no, I don't drink, nor endorse Zima), and I think it's meant to make fun of us minivan moms, but I think it's hilarious.

Mom and Dad are probably having some second thoughts right about now, but don't worry, I'm sure this time will be different.

10 comments:

  1. I always knew you were the favorite. Now I have at least 3 pieces of concrete evidence to prove it. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the video! I thought I saw a new van over there. Congrats! Don't feel too bad, we didn't pay for our car either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food for thought, Tom. Would you have wanted any of those vans? Point made!!! But, Cindy, next time we'll really surprise you and not give you anything! In fact, I'm considering charging you for room and board when you come next time. But I do have to say that our little ventures to Cedar City, though costly($), are worth it. We get fed royally and have the undivided love of the kids for a couple of days. What a payoff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and yeah--the first two vans we gave you DO resemble the one on the video. Did you have them professionlly done?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that vid. Congrats on the new car. Good luck keeping it that way. We have been given 4 or 5 cars over the years, poverty does have it's perks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol, I love the video...looks just like my sisters van. That is why I drive a two seater. No one to mess it up but me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's hear it for parents! We'd be starving on the streets now if it weren't for Jared's. I'm quite serious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought all minivans were supposed to look like this... it's sad when you have to ask for a van cleaning on holiday's from your husband, but it's always needed and never returned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That clip was so true! Sad, but true. Congratulations on three vans! Spencer had such a hard time breaking down and driving one, but they are the best most convenient cars with kids. Any visits up this way soon, now that you have a new car? We would love to see you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cindy, Amy's car looks just like the video. No kidding I went and bought car seats so I don't have to ride in it, but then my car look just like hers after one day with Mattea and Jaxon. And your parents are SPECIAL Love to read your blogg. Miss you all. Aunt Connie

    ReplyDelete