Monday, April 26, 2010

Locks of Love?

I was in need of a haircut, which I almost never get because I'm lazy. Lazy about hair. I hate doing my hair. Hate it. But I don't hate it when it is done, which is almost never. I wear it back all week, and I fix it for church on Sunday. Because I'm so lazy about it , it had grown as long as it's ever been, almost to my waist, which is way too long. Time for a cut. But I'm not only lazy about my hair, I'm cheap. So I had to wait for $3 Thursday at the beauty school, which is where I always get my hair trimmed. Now, you may be getting the idea that I don't care much about my hair, which is true. Or at least I thought it was true.
I had decided on 3 or 4 inches. Nothing dramatic, nothing different. Then, while combing through my hair, the stylist commented on how, if I cut a little more, I could donate it to Locks of Love. I asked her to show me how short it would be, and she pointed to a spot about half way down my back. She kept telling me that my hair would still be plenty long, nothing to worry about.
So now I'm kind of in a hard place. Inside I was screaming, No don't do it! Don't trust her!, but I didn't want to look like a jerk who doesn't care about kids with cancer who can't afford wigs. I tried to act casual as I said "Yeah sure, I can do that. No big deal". In reality, I wanted to get up and run away from her and her scissor happy hands as fast as I could.
Now that it's all said and done, was it a big deal? Yeah, it was. By the time she finished chopping, my hair was to my shoulders. Was I happy about it? Not at all. Did I say anything to her? No, because again, I didn't want to look like an unfeeling jerk. I'm still furious every time I do my hair, even if it is only once a week. And, I guess I am a jerk after all, because charity or not, I still regret it. Oh well, nothing I can do about it now. I suppose I'll get over it- THREE YEARS from now- when it grows back out.
Moral of the story? I think Jason summed it up pretty well when he shrugged and said, "That's what you get when pay $3 for a haircut".

8 comments:

  1. So, did I rub off on you . . .or did you rub off on me?? I don't even do my hair on Sunday, though! It's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY COW!!! To your shoulders??? That is super short! You didn't include a picture? We wanna see it. I am sure it still looks beautiful but I get it. You wait that long and now it is WAY shorter than you planned.
    On a side note...we are so the same on the haircare. I get a haircut maybe...MAYBE once every couple years. I don't do anything to it either. Once in a while I will curl it but that is about once a month. So I might beat you on the laziness about doing it. Oh and I love that there is a hair school near by. I might have to go there since I go to the beauty college here for my $5 hair cut.
    But really...picture please????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it looks great! You'll get used to it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no! I'm sorry! why didn't you post a photo? I'm sure it looks great on you, and as long as you can still get it in a pony tail, it's good.

    unfortunately, you do get what you pay for when it comes to hair... I guess that's why I've always been so picky about mine. I did find a decent stylist here though, thank goodness.

    Anyway, your hair grows fast, take some prenatal vitamins, it'll grow in faster! post a pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. $3 really? Well I will have to agree with Jason on that one. $3 Wow...so that is a dollar a year? I'm sure it looks great. You'll learn to love it like that time Rob shaved his head. Eventually we thought it looked good...okay so maybe we didn't. Sorry bad example.
    Let's see a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay so your hair was always short when we were there and you always looked great!

    but i know what you mean, i took off about 11 inches last may and i still regret it....

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL That is great! I want to see a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great, That will keep you cool this summer! I love to chop hair right before summer. That is cool you donated it... even though you really didn't want to :) Loved the story :)

    ReplyDelete