Saturday, September 22, 2007

Introducing....The Champion 4


A toilet is just a toilet...or is it? Not according to the American Standard company. This toilet boasts of being "virtually clog free" and able to handle "150 feet of toilet paper". The writing on the box says "throw away your plunger" and "never have to wiggle the handle again".
Why do I care? Well, you'd have to know a bit about my toilet history to better understand.
It all started when we bought our house. The toilet was near the top of my list of things to be replaced. I just couldn't stand the thought of that old dirty 1950's toilet being in my home. No telling when in had last been cleaned, and I sure didn't want the job. It was much more appealing to me to just throw it out and get a new one.
Jason, knowing my wishes about the toilet, came home one day and announced that he'd found a toilet for us. "What do you mean found?" I already didn't like the sound of this.
"Someone was getting rid of it! And it works perfectly, there's nothing wrong with it. It was made in 1937 and the handle is AWESOME!" Only Jason could get so excited about an old toilet. He was certain it would become a great conversation piece in our home.
Hmmm....1937. I'm thinking there was a bit of miscommunication somewhere.
In the end, we compromised. He could bring the toilet home if it passed my cleaning inspection. He spent a good while with it in the driveway, cleaning it inside and out with some sort of acid that would remove any questionable spots. Finally, it was allowed inside the house.
I'll admit that it worked quite well for at least a year, maybe longer, but, despite being snaked and several new flappers, it was still failing to do the job. So, that brings us to the Champion 4, my toilet of choice. It works beautifully. Jason was somewhat sad about removing his 1937 American Standard Cadet, but he'll be glad that he no longer has to get out of bed to wiggle the toilet handle because we just realized it's still running.
I'm looking forward to seeing if it lives up to the claim of 150 feet of toilet paper. With my boys, it can't be long before it's put to the test!

2 comments:

  1. No way! I want one! Our toilet runs constantly, we are always jiggling the handle, and I'm sure it's at least 30 yrs. old too. Maybe I'll try to get my landlady to spring for a new one like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS You gotta love Jason. He's so eclectic in his tastes, I love it!

    ReplyDelete